Fradley first appeared in 12th-century records as ‘Frodeleye’, or ‘Frod’s lea’. Historically it formed part of the parish of Alrewas until, in April 2009, Fradley and nearby Streethay split from Alrewas and Orgreave to form ‘Fradley and Streethay’ parish.
Some of the first historic accounts of Fradley come from the building of the canals. Fradley is surrounded by canals and nearby Fradley Junction is a well-known local beauty spot and hive of boating activity. Fradley was mentioned in 1768 when an Engineer called Brindley won the contract to build the canal from Coventry, to link with the Trent and Mersey at Fradley. Unfortunately even in those days money was a problem with him only just getting enough to allow him to build up to Atherstone, the project was put on hold. In 1783, a consortium called the Coleshill Agreement won the contract to finish the project, and so as we see it today the Coventry canal meets the Trent and Mersey canal at Fradley Junction.